The magic is back

I'm 8 years old and it's Christmas Eve. The excitement of Santa's arrival is keeping me wide awake in my bed. In the very early morning, I wake and wonder if Santa has been to my house yet. I slowly sneak out of my bedroom, down the stairs and around the corner into the living room where our fragrant, real tree is still lit from the night before. And, there they are! Santa was here and was I ever a good girl this year!

I'm 15 years old and it's Christmas Eve. I go to bed hoping that my parents put what I really want under the tree this year. In the very early morning my younger siblings wake me. "Sarah, Sarah! Santa came!" I stumble out of my bedroom, down the stairs and around the corner into the living room. "Santa" did come, and they left me some okay gifts, I guess.

I'm 23 years old and it's Christmas Eve. My live-in boyfriend and I have just enjoyed an amazing dinner at Taco Bell and opened all of the gifts under our tree. We each received the things we really wanted and now it's time for bed. Christmas day no longer excites me - all of my family is far away now and it will likely be similar to any other day.

I thought I would never be able to recapture the magic that Christmas was during my childhood.

Boy, was I wrong.

A certain 2-year-old has made Christmas even more magical for me than it ever was.
Trying to think of cool toys that he'd love to open, wrapping those toys and watching him open them was so exciting. Playing Santa, placing the other toys under the tree for him to wake up to on Christmas morning, was amazing. The look on his face was priceless.
Both of my sisters live here in Denver now, so they came over for dinner and a gift exchange.

And, by the way, I was a culinary genius this year.
I made a Cheesy Vegetable Lasagna for Christmas Eve and an Easy Tex Mex Bake for Christmas day. Everyone loved it... at least that's what they said.

Being with my family, and watching my little boy begin to understand the holiday has made this Christmas one of the best in my life.
I can't wait to see what next year will bring!

Henry and Daddy opening dinosaurs!
Big smiles!
Auntie Em and Auntie Kate with their favorite nephew.
Sisters...
Hope you all had a wonderful holiday! Now, bring on 2011!

Comments

Popular Posts