Being Nice is Hard Work!

Well, not usually. But when it comes to being a vegetarian there is some real work involved! Especially for a not-so-talented cook like myself. Gone are the days where I could throw a chicken breast in the oven, some instant brown rice in the microwave, and have dinner ready in 15 or 20 minutes. Sure, there are lots of meat substitutes that are super easy to prepare - but I would like to start eating more fresh, and less processed, foods.

As I mentioned in my previous post - this month's issue of Fitness Magazine has some awesome vegetarian recipes that I can't wait to try. I think that I will actually try to prepare this one tonight...

Warm Quinoa and Chickpea Salad

2 cups quinoa
1 garlic clove
3/4 teaspoon salt + a pinch
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil + more for drizzling
1 15.5-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup sliced or shaved almonds
1/3 cup pitted black olives, sliced
1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
1 package spinach or arugula leaves
  1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add the quinoa and cook until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain well.
  2. Using the flat side of a knife, mash the garlic into a paste with the pinch of salt. Place in a large bowl and stir in the lemon juice, black pepper, and remaining salt; whisk in the oil.
  3. Add the cooked quinoa and chickpeas, almonds, olives, and bell pepper to the bowl and mix. Serve over the spinach or arugula leaves and drizzle with olive oil.

Nutrition Facts Per Serving: 482 calories, 14 g protein, 58 g carbohydrate, 22 g fat, 10 g fiber.

________________________

Dare I attempt this thing they call cooking? And, even more importantly, will my Midwest meat-and-potato eating husband even be willing to eat such meals?

I guess only time will tell.... I'll let you know how it goes.

Comments

Popular Posts