Evil marshmallows

Before I stopped eating meat, I never would have thought that marshmallows were made from animal products.

They are.

It's the gelatin. Yeah, gelatin is made from animals. In fact, according to Dictionary.com, gelatin is "a nearly transparent, faintly yellow, odorless, and almost tasteless glutinous substance obtained by boiling in water the ligaments, bones, skin, etc., of animals, and forming the basis of jellies, glues, and the like."

Wow, I think I just vomited in my mouth a little.

That's what makes up marshmallows? And J-E-L-L-O?! It's really quite disgusting if you think about it.

And then I come across pictures like this one:


...and I wonder...Why isn't that vegetarian? Or gluten free? Or good for me?

Who ever thought of boiling animal ligaments, bones, and skin to create this substance? And, why is it in so many products? Label reading has become a necessary evil for me over the past few years. So has avoiding the majority of delicious finger-food appetizers and dessert dishes at every social gathering I attend.

I'm happy that my diet no longer contributes to the terrible suffering and slaughter of innocent animals, but sometimes it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle. Animal products in marshmallows? C'mon, people. It's 2012. We can do better.

Comments

Popular Posts