The anti-resolution resolutions

2012: Another year when I refuse to come up with New Year's resolutions for myself. 
Refuse. 
New Year's resolutions are a weak attempt to take control of an otherwise out-of-control life. 

It's not that I don't think there's room for improvement in 2012, or that I don't want to change certain things about my life. For example, yesterday I made gluten-free blueberry muffins for breakfast that actually turned out really well. Obviously, when there are amazingly delicious gluten-free blueberry muffins sitting on my kitchen counter at 11 p.m. on New Year's Eve, I have to eat, like, three or four of them, right? Yeah, that's probably something I'd like to change in 2012. No more binge eating at 11 p.m. 

But it doesn't take a new year for me to realize that needs to be changed. 

Today I took Jack for a walk. He keeps giving me this "Great, Mom. It's 6 p.m., dark, and cold outside. Guess that's another day without a walk" look. I can't handle the constant look of disappointment on his cute little schnauzer face. I figured the first day of this new year was a good time to begin walking him on a more consistent basis, like I used to, before Henry was born. 

Not that it's a resolution or anything...just something I thought I'd start today.

I'm not one of those people who heads to the gym consistently from January through March and then gets sick of working out and resorts back to my old out-of-shape, poor-eating ways. I've been working out on a regular basis now since 2003. After losing more than 100 pounds, I know I never want to get back to that point again. Working out makes me feel good (and makes those 11 p.m. muffin binges a *little* less dangerous). However, working full time and having a three-year-old little boy that needs to be played with, a dog that needs walked, and a husband that would appreciate some attention every once in a while, makes it more difficult to get to the gym as often as I used to. Six-day-a-week workouts have been replaced by four days a week; six-mile runs replaced with three-milers at 5 a.m. The other day I decided to begin working out at least five days every week. That's totally doable--beginning tomorrow.

Total coincidence that I decided to begin that new workout schedule on January 2. 

In 2011, I got a full-time job as a writer for a nonprofit association. I love to write, so it's great, but when I get home from work after eight hours of writing, editing, proofreading, etc... for the association, writing for myself is not exactly the first thing on my to-do list. (Maybe this is why blog posts and tweets have been few-and-far-between lately. Oh, and that book I've been wanting to write...sort of on the back burner right now.) Just about two hours ago, I decided that writing and reading for myself is going to be a priority again, beginning with this blog post. No more neglecting my creative side. No more keeping quiet when I have something to say, or write. Would Mark Twain have confined himself to writing what a professional organization wanted him to write, just because they were paying him a salary? No way. 2012 is my year to write what I want to write. And read what I want to read. (I'm totally going to work on that "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" book that has been a pain in my ass so far. When does it start to get as good as everyone says it's supposed to be, anyway?) 

I would have come to this conclusion eventually. I love to write--it's what I do. I just happened to think about making this change today, on January 1.

So, as I was saying, New Year's resolutions are for weak people. I don't need some arbitrary date to recognize the fact that there are a few things I'd like to change in my life. Starting now, January 1, 2012, I'm turning over a new leaf: More writing, working out, and walking the dog; less late-night binge-eating. These are not resolutions, though. I am so not a resolution girl. These are just positive life changes that begin now and go on...forever. Resolutions only last a few months, right?

Cheers, all! Here's to a peaceful and prosperous 2012. 

Comments

Popular Posts